CommonGround volunteer Crystal Klug shares her recipe for Warm German Potato Salad with Pure Nebraska viewers.
Warm German Potato Salad
- 5 med. potatoes, cooked and sliced
- 5 slices bacon, cooked crisp, chopped, drippings saved
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, 1/2 inch slices
- 1 1/2 T flour
- 1/2 c water
- 1/2 c sugar (I used 1/4 c)
- 1/2 c vinegar (I used 1/4 c)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fry bacon.
- Cook onion and celery in bacon drippings until tender.
- Remove with slotted spoon. Stir flour into drippings.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in water slowly so no lumps form; slowly whisk in vinegar.
- When it comes back to boiling, add sugar.
- Remove from heat, add potatoes, bacon, onion, and celery. Adjust seasoning.
- Notes: Always salt the potatoes while cooking. Also, salt and pepper the onions and celery while cooking. This holds in a crock pot well.
- To double recipe, use 5 pounds of potatoes.