CommonGround volunteer Crystal Klug shares this recipe from the Nebraska Beef Council for Slow Cooker Beef and Beer with Pure Nebraska viewers.
Slow Cooker Beef and Beer
- 1 lb stew meat
- 1 can condensed mushroom soup or homemade cream soup (see recipe below)
- 1 16 oz package fresh mushrooms
- 1 can dark or light beer
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Cream Condensed Soup - make your own
- 3 T butter
- 3 T flour
- 1/2 c chicken broth
- 1/2 c milk
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Combine all ingredients into crock pot and stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or high 4-6.
- Stir in frozen peas about 15 minutes before serving over mashed potatoes, rice or noodles.
- Substitution options
- Cut up a chuck roast or round roast into small 1’ cubes for stew meat. Canned mushrooms can be substituted for fresh mushrooms. Beef broth can be substituted for beer.
- Cream Condensed Soup
- Melt butter over med-low heat. Add flour and whisk to make a roux, 1-1 1/2 minutes.
- Slowly add chicken broth and milk and whisk to smooth out lumps.
- Stir in garlic salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook until mixture thickens, 2-3 minutes.