CommonGround volunteer Susan Littlefield shares a recipe for Saucy Beef Wraps with Pure Nebraska viewers. In the summer months, her family enjoys them in lettuce wraps.
Saucy Beef Wraps – (Lettuce Wraps)
- 1 lb. ground beef 93% lean
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/3 cup canned black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1 Romain lettuce leaves or 4 flour tortillas 8-9" diameter
- Brown Ground Beef with onion, bell pepper and garlic in large nonstick skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef up into 1/2-inch crumbles. Pour off drippings, if necessary.
- Stir in water, tomato paste, brown sugar, vinegar, chili powder and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add spinach, beans and carrots; continue simmering 3 to 4 minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon filling evenly in a row across center of each lettuce leaf or tortilla, leaving 1-1/2-inch border on right and left sides. If using tortillas, fold right and left sides of tortilla over filling. Fold bottom edge up over filling and roll up.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!