CommonGround volunteer Joan Ruskamp shared her recipe for Flaky Beef-Stuffed Pinwheels during a “Mom Meals: Holiday Edition” cooking class.
Flaky Beef-Stuffed Pinwheels
Notes: If you use two full pastry sheets you will want to use more roast beef. Hormel has two roast beef options, one is noted as more tender. I would recommend that you choose that option if available.
- 1 package 16-24 oz. fully-cooked boneless beef pot roast with gravy
- 1/2 cup shredded asiago cheese
- 1 package 17.3 ounces frozen puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
- 4 green onions cut in half lengthwise, then cut into thin long strips
- 1/2-1 tsp garlic salt - optional
- honey mustard sauce for dipping
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- Heat beef pot roast with gravy in microwave according to package directions. Remove pot roast from container; discard gravy. Shred pot roast in large bowl with 2 forks; stir in cheese. Divide in four equal parts. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Coat 2 metal baking sheets with cooking spray. Unfold each puff pastry sheet onto lightly floured surface.
- Cut each sheet in half with sharp knife or pizza cutter to make four 10 X 4-3/4 inch rectangles.
- Working with 1 rectangle at time, place a long side in front of you. Place 1/4 of the beef mixture onto pastry, leaving a 1/2-inch border on the long side closest to you. Lay 1/4 of the green onion strips lengthwise over beef mixture. Roll up pastry jelly-roll fashion starting with long side opposite you. Brush water along border and seal pastry. Repeat with remaining pastry, beef mixture and green onions.
- Cut pastry rolls crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices, forming pinwheels. Arrange 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake in 400°F oven 15 to 17 minutes or until golden brown, rotating pans halfway through baking. Transfer pinwheels to wire rack; cool slightly. Serve warm.
- Honey mustard sauce: Mix honey, mustard, mayo and vinegar with a wire whisk.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!