CommonGround volunteer Joan Ruskamp shares her recipe for Bowl Baked Oatmeal with Pure Nebraska viewers.
Bowl Baked Oatmeal
- 1 and 3/4 cups 420ml milk (dairy or nondairy)
- 2 large eggs*
- 1/2 cup 120ml pure maple syrup*
- 1/4 cup 60g unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled*
- 1/4 cup 60g unsweetened applesauce or mashed banana
- 3 cups 240g old-fashioned whole oats*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups mixed berries fresh or frozen (do not thaw)*
- optional for topping: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Adjust the oven rack to the lower third position and preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray a 9×9 inch or 11×7 inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Any similar size or shape pan works, though 8×8 inch would be too small. See recipe note for 9×13 inch pan.
- Whisk all of the ingredients together in 1 large bowl. Pour into prepared baking pan. Top with nuts, if desired. (Or stir into the oatmeal.) Bake for 35 minutes or until the center appears almost set, which gives us a soft oatmeal as pictured above. For drier and more solid baked oatmeal, bake until center has set.
- Cool for 5 minutes before serving. Spoon or slice and serve with yogurt, if desired. Cover leftovers tightly and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!