CommonGround volunteer Joan Ruskamp shares her recipe for Beef Kabobs with Pure Nebraska viewers. Her granddaughters joined in the fun to help build the kabobs.
- 1 lb. beef tri tips, sirloin steak tips or other steak cut
- bell peppers (red, yellow, green)
- 1 large red onion
- 16 small mushrooms
- small red potatoes
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (can substitute red wine vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon dried basel
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Cut the beef into 1” wide cubes.
- Mix Marinade in a bowl. Add beef. Marinate for 1 – 24 hours, minimum 20 minutes.
- Cut vegetables into 1" wide squares.
- Thread beef (reserve Marinade), vegetables and mushrooms on each skewer alternating as desired. Thread loosely – don't smush together tightly (helps even cooking).
- Brush kebabs lightly with Reserved Marinade (including vegetables), then drizzle with olive oil.
- Heat BBQ or large skillet over high heat. Add 1 tbsp oil, then when smoking, cook kebabs in batches for 2 minutes on each side until slightly charred (4 sides = 8 minutes in total), basting with Reserved Marinade as you go.
- Transfer to plate, cover loosely with foil and rest for 3 minutes before serving.
Steaming the vegetables for 5 minutes will help soften before grilling. If you use the marinade on the vegetables make sure they are grilled as the marinade was with raw meat. Soak wooden skewers in water at least 30 minutes before using.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!