CommonGround volunteer Crystal Klug shares her recipe for Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken.
Baked Sweet and Sour Chickent
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (3 to 4)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup granulated sugar, depending on how sweet you want the sauce
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1-inch pieces. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Place the cornstarch in a gallon-sized ziploc bag. Put the chicken into the bag with the cornstarch and seal, tossing to coat the chicken.
- Whisk the eggs together in a shallow pie plate.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until very hot and rippling. Dip the cornstarch-coated chicken pieces in the egg and place them carefully in a single layer in the hot skillet.
- Cook for 20-30seconds on each side until the crust is golden but the chicken is not all the way cooked through. Place the chicken pieces in a single layer in a 9X13-inchbaking dish and repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
- Mix the sauce ingredients (sugar, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, and garlic salt) together in a medium bowl and pour over the chicken.
- Bake for 45 minutes to one hour, turning the chicken once or twice while cooking to coat evenly with sauce.
- Serve over hot,steamed rice and add a green vegetable as a side dish.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!