CommonGround volunteer Jordan Classen shares her recipe for Winter Day Hearty Potato Soup with Pure Nebraska viewers.
Winter Day Hearty Potato Soup Recipe
- 2 medium yellow onions- diced
- 4 stalks of celery - approx ½ bundle- diced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 8 tsp 8 cloves minced garlic
- 1 16oz container of heavy whipping cream
- 8 medium/large fresh potatoes- halved quartered then diced (approx ¾” cube)
- 1 32 oz container of chicken stock
- 1 package of bacon
- 1/2 cup of flour
- Warm up a saute pan on medium heat
- Cook the entire pack of bacon by cutting bacon strips in half and lining the saute pan. Cook until medium to hard. Hard pieces will be set aside for topping later.
- While cooking bacon- dice onions and celery, combine together onions and celery.
- Remove all bacon strips from the pan. Keep grease in the bottom.
- Add 3 tbsp of butter into the saute pan until melted. Spread butter around bottom of pan to coat.
- Put onions/celery in the saute pot and cover on medium heat for about 5 minutes until cooked through. Make sure not to get mushy. Stir as needed.
- Add in garlic & cook until fragrant, approx 2 minutes.
- Get out the crock pot or stock pot. In the winter I prefer to use the crockpot on warm.
- Pour 16oz heavy whipping cream into the bottom of the crock pot.
- Pour celery and onion mixture carefully into the crock pot.
- Add 1-2 tsp of chili powder
- In saute pot pour in all potatoes and 1 32 oz container of chicken stock
- Bring to a rolling boil until potatoes are done. Make sure to use a lid partially cracked to let the steam out when doing so. Approx 20 minutes on medium heat.
- While the potatoes are cooking cut up bacon – I prefer to use a food processor on the chop setting.
- Once potatoes are softened to liking, use a pyrex glass measuring cup to carefully transfer half of the potatoes into the crock pot
- Pour remaining potatoes carefully into the crock pot.
- Add ¾ of bacon to the mixture.
- Add 1 tsp of salt and pepper each.
- Sprinkle flour in for increasing thickness if needed – I typically use 3-4 tbsp.
- Remain on the warm setting until time to serve.
- Preferred toppings: freeze dried chives (McCormick), shredded cheddar cheese, remaining bacon, sour cream
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!