CommonGround volunteer Amy Johnson shares her recipe for Turtle Popcorn Balls with Pure Nebraska viewers.
Turtle Popcorn Balls
- 16 cups popped popcorn
- One 10 oz. bag mini marshmallows
- ½ stick unsalted butter 1/4 cup
- ¼ cup caramel bits
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Rolling the Popcorn Balls
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup caramel bits
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Place the popcorn in a large bowl (or 2 large bowls to make mixing easier).
- Place the extra toppings needed for rolling the bas on a plate, set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the mini marshmallows, butter, caramel bits and chocolate ships. Stir frequently until melted and smooth.
- Pour the melted mixture over the popcorn (dividing between 2 bowls if you divided your popcorn). Stir with a spatula until the popcorn is coated.
- Spray your hands with non-stick cooking spray and use your hands, a spoon, a measuring cup, cookie scoop, etc. to portion out the popcorn balls. Roll the ball between your hands into a rough ball shape. Then roll the popcorn ball into the extra toppings – more caramel bits, chocolate chips and chopped pecans!l
- Alternatively, you could add the extra toppings into the gooey popcorn before forming balls if you don’t want to roll them in the toppings.
- Place the balls on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Allow balls to cool and firm up, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- For storage beyond a day, it is recommended to wrap each ball in plastic wrap, and then place inside a Ziploc bag or plastic container for freshness. However, popcorn balls are best eaten the same day.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!