CommonGround volunteer Leslie Boswell shares a recipe for Seven-Layer Tostadas.
- 1 can (16 oz.) refried pinto beans
- 1 1/2 cups guacamole
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 tsp. Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 lb ground beef, browned
- 1 cup finely grated low-fat cheese such as Four Cheese Mexican Blend
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives (or use a 4 oz. can sliced olives)
- 6-8 low-carb flour tortillas
- olive oil for greasing baking sheet, about 1 tsp.
- Place a baking sheet inside the oven or toaster oven and let it get hot while you preheat oven to 450F, about 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove baking sheet, drizzle a tiny bit of olive oil on it and spread around with a paper towel, and put flour tortillas on the baking sheet.
- Toast tortillas in the oven until they’re crisp and barely starting to brown, turning several times. This will take less than 5 minutes so watch them carefully.
- While tortillas are crisping, put the refried beans in a bowl, stir to break them apart, and microwave 2-3 minutes, or until they’re hot.
- Stir the Taco Seasoning Mix into the sour cream.
- Chop the onions, slice green onions, and slice the olives
- Put crisped tortilla shell on a plate and top with:
- –a thin layer of refried beans (1-2 tablespoons)
- –a thin layer of guacamole (1-2 tablespoons)
- -a thin layer of seasoned sour cream (1-2 tablespoons)
- -several generous pinches of finely grated low-fat cheese
- -chopped tomatoes
- -thinly sliced green onions
- -sliced olives
- Serve right away, with salsa or hot sauce if desired. You can keep the topping ingredients in the fridge and crisp more tortillas later to use any leftovers.