CommonGround volunteer Leslie Boswell shares a recipe for Seven-Layer Tostadas.
- 1 can 16 oz. refried pinto beans
- 1 1/2 cups guacamole
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 tsp. Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 lb ground beef browned
- 1 cup finely grated low-fat cheese such as Four Cheese Mexican Blend
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives or use a 4 oz. can sliced olives
- 6-8 low-carb flour tortillas
- olive oil for greasing baking sheet about 1 tsp.
- Place a baking sheet inside the oven or toaster oven and let it get hot while you preheat oven to 450F, about 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove baking sheet, drizzle a tiny bit of olive oil on it and spread around with a paper towel, and put flour tortillas on the baking sheet.
- Toast tortillas in the oven until they’re crisp and barely starting to brown, turning several times. This will take less than 5 minutes so watch them carefully.
- While tortillas are crisping, put the refried beans in a bowl, stir to break them apart, and microwave 2-3 minutes, or until they’re hot.
- Stir the Taco Seasoning Mix into the sour cream.
- Chop the onions, slice green onions, and slice the olives
- Put crisped tortilla shell on a plate and top with:
- –a thin layer of refried beans (1-2 tablespoons)
- –a thin layer of guacamole (1-2 tablespoons)
- -a thin layer of seasoned sour cream (1-2 tablespoons)
- -several generous pinches of finely grated low-fat cheese
- -chopped tomatoes
- -thinly sliced green onions
- -sliced olives
- Serve right away, with salsa or hot sauce if desired. You can keep the topping ingredients in the fridge and crisp more tortillas later to use any leftovers.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!