CommonGround volunteer Paula Peterson shares her recipe for Mexican Fried Ice Cream with Pure Nebraska viewers.
Mexican Fried Ice Cream
- 3 cups crushed Corn Flakes cereal
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 1.75- quart vanilla ice cream
- 8 oz container whipped topping
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup honey
- Take the vanilla ice cream out of your freezer and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the crushed corn flakes and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Fry mixture for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly until cereal is golden brown. Be careful so that does not burn.
- Take a 9x13 baking dish and spread about 1/3 to ½ of the corn flake mixture.
- Set the rest aside for the topping.
- In a large bowl combine ice cream, cool whip and cinnamon. Using a spatula, stir and mix well. Spread over corn flakes in the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining corn flakes over the top. Drizzle honey over the whole thing. Cover pan and freeze at least 5 hours, overnight is best.
- Cut into squares and serve. You can top with chocolate or caramel syrup if desired.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!