CommonGround volunteer Paula Peterson shares her recipe for Mexican Fried Ice Cream Bites with Pure Nebraska viewers.
Mexican Fried Ice Cream Bites
- 3 cups crushed corn flakes cereal
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 1.75- quart vanilla ice cream
- 8 oz container whipped topping
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup honey
- Take the vanilla ice cream out of your freezer and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the crushed corn flakes and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Fry mixture for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly until cereal is golden brown. Watch it close, as it will burn.
- Spoon about 1 to 2 tablespoons of corn flake mixture into cupcake forms in a cupcake pan. This recipe will make about 36 so if you don’t want to make that much, fill the cups you want then you can use an 8x8 pan to use the leftovers. Set the rest aside for the topping.
- In a large bowl combine ice cream, cool whip and cinnamon. Using a spatula, stir and mix well. Use an ice cream scoop to scoop the mixture over corn flakes in the bottom of the cupcakes. Sprinkle the remaining corn flake mixture over the top of each cupcake cup. Drizzle honey over the whole thing. Cover pan and freeze at least 5 hours, overnight is best.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!