CommonGround volunteer Leslie Boswell shares a recipe for Mediterranean Black Olive Bread.
Mediterranean Black Olive Bread
- 3/4 teaspoon Active Dry Yeast
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 cup chopped black olives
- 2 teaspoons salt
- In a medium bowl, combine the yeast and the warm water. Cover with plastic or with a kitchen towel and let it proof for at least 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the salt and the bread flour. Mix on low, with the paddle attachment, just to combine.
- Add the yeast/water mixture and mix on low until a shaggy dough forms. Cover bowl with plastic and let the dough rise at a warm place (inside of the microwave - turned off! -, for example) for 10 to 24 hours. (See notes!)
- Preheat oven to 450F degrees. Place a 4qt Dutch oven into the preheated oven, without the lid, for 30 minutes.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and roughly press the dough into a flat rectangle. Sprinkle 1/3 of the chopped olives on top and fold the dough once, hiding the olives and pressing down again to form another flat shape. Repeat two more times until you've used all the olives. Then, form a ball with floured hands. Cover the dough loosely with plastic and let rest for at least 30 minutes (another hour or two recommended), until doubled in size, while the dutch oven preheats.
- Once the Dutch oven has preheated, transfer the dough ball into the heated Dutch oven. Cover with the lid and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and bake, uncovered, for 15 more minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!