CommonGround volunteer Amy Johnson shares her recipe for Funnel Cakes with Pure Nebraska viewers.
DIY Funnel Cakes at Home
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 cups pancake baking mix
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Powdered sugar for topping
- Pour oil about one inch deep into a large saucepan. Heat over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 350°F to 360°F.
- Meanwhile, combine pancake mix, milk and eggs in a large bowl; stir until well mixed with as few lumps as possible. Pour the batter into a squeeze bottle, or a ziplock bag, seal it, and cut the corner of the bag.
- When oil is fully heated, carefully squeeze batter in a circular motion, close to the oil, until a funnel cake forms. Fry 30 seconds on each side until golden brown, then transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain.
- Repeat with remaining batter, making sure oil temperature stays within 350°F to 360°F.
- Let the cakes drain and cool slightly on a paper towel-lined baking sheet or plate. When all the cakes are fried and slightly cooled, sprinkle the tops with powdered sugar, fruit, or your favorite topping.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!