CommonGround volunteer Amy Johnson shares her recipe for Western Meal-In-One with Pure Nebraska viewers.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tbsp salad oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 can tomatoes (15 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups of soaked and cooked pinto beans
- 3/4 cups uncooked rice
- tomato juice (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped ripe olives
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Brown ground beef in oil until crumbly.
- Add garlic, salt, onion, green pepper and chili powder.
- Saute for 5 minutes or until vegetables are limp.
- Mix tomatoes, beans and rice. Add a little water or tomato juice as needed. Turn into a greased 2 quart casserole.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
- Sprinkle it with olives and cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted.
- Dry Bean Prep
- Rinse beans
- Soak overnight in water (1 lb beans with 5 cups water)
- Drain & rinse with cool water
- In large pot: cover beans with fresh water & bring to boil
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1.5 hours (or in a pressure cooker cover with at least 2" water and cook 15-20 minutes)