CommonGround volunteer Joan Ruskamp shares her recipe for Sweet and Sour Meatballs with Pure Nebraska viewers.
Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 cup bread slices cubed
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup water
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup vinegar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 T mustard
- 1 T flour
- Place ground beef in large mixing bowl, break apart, sprinkle thyme and salt over the hamburger.
- In a separate bowl mix water with breadcrumbs adding moistened bread to the hamburger mixture.
- Mix well, form into golf ball shapes using a melon or large cookie scoop.
- Heat in a large frying pan over medium heat until browned on all sides.
- Transfer to 9×13 baking dish for baking or leave in frying pan for stove top simmering.
- Whisk ingredients as listed.
- Pour over meatballs in baking dish and bake for one hour at 350 degrees.
- If using stove top method pour sauce over meatballs in large frying pan and allow to simmer over low heat until sauce is thickened.
Commonground Nebraska https://commongroundnebraska.com/wordpress/