For Beef Month, I want to share one of my favorite BEEF recipes: Beefy Mexican Lasagna. This recipe is an easy, kid-friendly dish that I use often. It is from the Healthy Beef Cookbook, by the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association and American Dietetic Association.
Beefy Mexican Lasagna
Total preparation and cooking time: 45 minutes
Makes 8 servings
1 ½ pounds 95% lean hamburger
2 cans (10 oz. each) mild enchilada sauce
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 ½ cups frozen corn
1 teaspoon ground cumin
9 corn tortillas
1 ½ cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
½ cup chopped tomato
2 tablespoons chopped tomatoes
Crunchy tortilla strips (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Brown ground beef in large nonstick skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up into ¾ inch crumbles. Pour off drippings.
- Stir in 1 can enchilada sauce, black beans, corn and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spray 11 ¾ x 7 ½ inch glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange 3 tortillas in dish, cutting 1 as needed to cover bottom. Spread ¼ cup remaining enchilada sauce over tortillas; cover with one third of the beef mixture, then one third of the cheese.
- Repeat layers twice, omitting final cheese layer. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over top.
- Cover with aluminum foil. Bake in 350 degree oven 30 minutes. Remove foil;sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with tortilla strips, if desired, tomato and cilantro.
*Can be made up to 24 hours ahead and refrigerated. Increase baking time to 45 minutes.