As the summer heats up, so does the grill. Weekends are filled with backyard barbecues and parties on the lake relaxing with your closest friends and family. Whipping up a dish can be challenging on short notice. At the lake or in a backyard, these mini corn dogs are easy and are a guaranteed hit with all ages!
Easy Homemade Mini Corn Dogs
- 1 (12-oz.) package hot dogs
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Cut each hot dog in half then insert a lollipop stick into the cutoff end of each hot dog. Thoroughly dry off the hot dogs with paper towels.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a liquid measuring cup, whisk together the egg and milk. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined using a spoon or spatula. (See Kelly’s Note.)
- Add 4 inches of oil to a large, heavy-bottomed stock pot. Attach the deep-fry thermometer then heat the oil over medium-high heat until the thermometer reaches 360ºF. Line a plate with paper towels.
- Dip each hot dog in the batter until it’s completely coated, lightly shake off the excess then then lower it into the hot oil. Fry the corn dog until golden and crispy, about 3 minutes, then transfer it to the paper towel-lined plate. Repeat the breading and frying process with the remaining hot dogs. Serve immediately.
Commonground Nebraska https://commongroundnebraska.com/wordpress/
When dipping the hot dogs in the batter, it’s easiest if you pour the batter into a tall glass. The lollipop sticks can be fried, so you can carefully lower the corn dogs into the oil, stick and all.
I hope you all are having a safe and happy summer!