CommonGround volunteer Crystal Klug shares her recipe for Cider Beef Stew.
Cider Beef Stew
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1-2 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/4 to to 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 1/2-4 cups apple cider (or juice)
- 2 T cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup flour
- Add prepared vegetables and stew meat to a 5-6 quart slow cooker bowl. Sprinkle with salt,
- pepper and thyme. Finally add cider and vinegar. Gently stir, being sure to keep all potatoes
- completely covered by liquid.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8.
- In the last 10-15 minutes, remove 1 cup of the liquid, whisk in a spoonful of flour at a time, up
- to 1/4 cup. Return to slow cooker, gently stirring to combine. Allow mixture to continue cooking
- and thicken slightly. Serve warm with cheddar biscuits and apple slices.
Commonground Nebraska https://commongroundnebraska.com/wordpress/