CommonGround volunteer Crystal Klug shared her recipe for Smoked Tri-Tip.
- 1 whole Tri-Tip (about 3-5 lbs)
- Salt & Pepper
- your favorite seasoning rub (Recommended: something sweet with a kick)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Garlic salt
- Trim any fat off of the Tri-Tip.
- Season your Tri-Tip generously with your favorite rub and let it rest to soak in the flavor. Set aside and let it come to room temperature.
- Place your Tri-Tip on the grill, making sure it’s on the “smoke” setting. Close the lid and forget about it for 4-6 hours or until the internal temperature at the thickest part reaches 130-135f.
- Remove from the grill and wrap tightly in foil. Allow to rest for at least 20 minutes.
- After resting, serve immediately slicing against the grain. Or chill Tri-Tip overnight and thinly slice the next day.
- Reheat in crock pot or roaster with a can of beer or beef broth. Important! Don’t let meat get too hot or it will dry out, serve warm. Perfect for Husker Tailgates!
Commonground Nebraska http://commongroundnebraska.com/wordpress/