CommonGround volunteer Karol Swan shares her recipe for Punch Bowl Dessert.
Punch Bowl Dessert
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 2 large boxes strawberry gelatin
- 2 large containers of whipped topping
- 2 (10 oz.) packages frozen sliced strawberries
- 2 large boxes regular vanilla pudding (not instant)
- fresh strawberries for garnish
- Use 2 (8 inch) round cake pans and clear glass punch bowl.
- Make cake according to box directions.
- Cool; cut layers horizontally by pulling a string through so you have four layers.
- Make vannilla pudding according to package directions and let cool.
- Mix 2 1/2 cups of boiling water with 2 packages strawberry gelatin to dissolve.
- Add the 2 packages of partially thawed berries.
- Put in refridgerator until mixture thickens--but do not let it get to firm.
- To assemble: In punch bowl, add 1/4 of the gelatin mixture, first layer of cake, 1/4 more gelatin, spread a layer of whipped topping, then a layer of pudding.
- Second layer of cake, gelatin, whipped topping, pudding.
- Third layer of cake, gelatin, whipped topping, pudding.
- Fourth layer of cake only, topped with thick layer of whipped topping.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries.
- You can make this the night before but do not put the last layer of whipped topping on until an your before serving.
- Use a large serving spoon to scoop out servings.
Commonground Nebraska http://commongroundnebraska.com/wordpress/