Ahhh, the wonders of an avocado. I thought of this as my eight-year-old daughter slathered a smashed one all over her face. If I had suggested she do this, I would have been scoffed at. Instead, it was written right there in her spa book she got for Christmas.
Step 1: Mash a ripe avocado in a small dish. Step 2: Smooth it onto your face. Step 3: Remove after 15 minutes.
That was one of her first encounters with the green veggie and hopefully not her last.
I was surprised that our 25-year-old son recently said he had never eaten an avocado. I pride myself in feeding healthy food to the family all these years and he hadn’t tasted one of the most healthy veggies ever. And useful. Here’s ten best things about our green friend- the avocado:
1. They contain 2 grams of fiber.
2. They have Vitamin K, folate, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B, Vitamin C, potassium, riboflavin, and niacin.
3. They’re easy to peel.
4. You can make a nice face mask out of one (see above).
5. A 1-oz. serving of avocado contains 0.5 grams saturated fat and is trans fat- and cholesterol-free. (from Avocado.org)
6. They’re sugar free.
7. They make great guacamole (Ingredients: 4 ripe avocados, seeded and peeled, 2 Tbsp. lemon juice,1 clove garlic, crushed, 1 tomato, finely chopped, ¼ cup finely chopped onion, ⅛ tsp. ground cumin, 3 drops hot pepper sauce.)
8. Mashed avocado makes hair shiny (a fact also found in our daughter’s spa book).
9. You can grow a plant from the avocado pit. Just set it on toothpicks in a glass with water and soon you’ll have a beautiful leafy houseplant.
10. The consistency in your mouth is weird- kind of slimy smooth.
I would some day like to attend an annual avocado fest or ride my bike through Guacamole Park, Oceanside, California.
Cut them up into your salad or smash them into your hair. Just don’t overlook avocado green if you know what I mean.